Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What's my problem???

To introduce our "Problems and Solutions" section of the blog, we'll start off with a violet that has a problem (or two!) What fun is it to look at a tiny speck on a single leaf of an otherwise perfect plant and fuss over something that you need a microscope to detect? Let's begin with a plant that has some obvious "issues"!!!


Here's how we play the game. I'll post a photo of some aspect of a plant or its growing conditions and you, the reader, will post your thoughts on the problem and possible solutions to it.


I'd love it if we could get some lively participation! Even the most senior grower will occasionally have a plant that just doesn't grow as expected, or gets an insect problem that's unfamiliar. With many thoughts, we might get many great ideas! There are no right and wrong answers to this game, just a chance for some of us to admit that there are plants like this one even IN our collections!

I welcome contributions to the "Problems and Solutions" picture file. Email the blog with your photo and indicate if you would like your name to be given so that you may get credit for sending in the picture. I'll post different photos as I get them. Maybe at some point we'll even have a contest for the worst problem! We'll all have a chance to vote on it and the winner will get to have their picture up on our Wall of Fame! I'll need lots of pictures before we get to that though. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks like you weren't fertilizing for awhile.

Or did it get sunburned?

Anonymous said...

Did you change the ph of your water?

NSAVC Twin Cities said...

I think that it's lacked fertilization for quite a while. It was in a "starter" tray that was sort of forgotten except for periodic watering. I can see by the stunted middle leaves that it could use plenty of attention. Maybe some repotting, fertilizer and more light.

The comment about pH is a very interesting one. I know that my city water is tending on the high side sometimes 8 to 8.5. The fish aren't always so fond of it. I'm going to use the liquid fish tank indicator drops tomorrow and see what the plain water that's let run through the container comes out as, pH wise. It might be sort of interesting. I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

When wicking the roots often follow the wick. I've had the on matting, too. If the plantlet cannot be removed easily, I would cut the wick off and pot the plantlet with the piece of wick still attached. But I would take them off now and keep them in a greenhouse environment until they are established. If the remining wick ends up too short for the large pot, simply thread a new wick.